DR EMILY PRYCE-JENKINS ~ CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST AND CBT THERAPIST
Qualifications and training
* BA in experimental psychology from University of Oxford (2004)
* Doctorate in clinical psychology from University of East London (2009)
* Additional training in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) at the Institute of Psychiatry in London (2011)
* Specialist IAPT couple therapy for depression training at the Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships (2012)
* Training to become an EMDR therapist at the EMDR Academy (2018)
* Supervision training for supervising psychological wellbeing practitioners and high intensity psychological therapists
I have over ten years of experience working in NHS psychology and therapy services for adults, older adults, children and families and those with learning disabilities. I have used CBT, systemic therapy, psychodynamic therapy and integrative approaches.
Since qualifying as a clinical psychologist, I have worked in various senior positions in Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services. Here I have treated adults with depression and anxiety disorders using CBT. I also have experience in third wave CBT approaches of mindfulness and compassion focused therapy and often draw on these when appropriate. Click here to read more about the types of psychological difficulties I can treat individuals with and for further details of the therapeutic approaches I use.
I have also successfully treated couples using an integrative approach, couple therapy for depression, when relationship distress contributes to one or both of the couple being depressed. Click here to read more about the types of couple difficulties I can work with and how integrative couple therapy can help.
I have a special interest in the following:
* Perinatal psychology - working with parents-to-be experiencing antenatal depression or anxiety and new parents experiencing postnatal depression or anxiety and birth trauma. I have worked in a specialist perinatal service and have also worked with many expectant and new parents in IAPT services.
* Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), which CBT is highly effective for. I have successfully treated many clients with OCD, including those with washing, checking and ordering compulsions and also violent, religious and sexual obsessions.
* Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), using CBT, EMDR and compassion focused therapy. I have successfully treated many adults suffering from PTSD following traumas such as road traffic accidents, personal attacks or abuse, experience in the armed forces and witnessing traumatic incidents at work. I can receive referrals from solicitors as well as health professionals and individuals themselves.
Supervision and teaching experience
I have over six years' experience clinically supervising CBT therapists, psychologists and psychological wellbeing practitioners. For more information on the private supervision I offer click here.
I have written and presented teaching sessions to various health professionals on mental health and CBT topics, including primary care mental health, perinatal mental health problems, CBT formulation and goal setting in therapy. I have led antenatal classes on preparing psychologically for parenthood.
Additionally, I have co-written and conducted teaching sessions on psychological assessment and psychometrics for trainee clinical psychologists at the University of Essex.
For more information about teaching sessions I could offer click here.